Monday, December 26, 2011

2011 Pasig River Run

Yesterday marked the slashed of “Marathon” in to do list before I turn 35. I joined the 2011 Pasig River Run because I always wanted to join one but couldn't find someone to join me. Fortunately, my Present Company decided to join the run and ask its employees to willingly join the race for a good cause – Pasig River Clean-up. I didn't think twice and emailed my quick “yes” response besides the point that I didn't need to pay anything. The Present Company shouldered the registration, company shirt and food expenses. I’ll get anything valuable as long as it’s FREE.

According to the brochure, the gun start was at 04:45 am. I left the house at 03:30 am with our helper Ayat, short for “Payat”. My Tatay gave her the nickname because she’s so thin and also not to confuse her with my mother, who both share the same name. I was not allowed to leave on my own because few people were on the street during that time. We arrived at Monumento and were surprised to see groups of young students eager to join the race. It was pretty obvious they were joining the race because they were in shirts, joggings pants and rubber shoes. They were waiting for a ride and busy giggling with one another which brought memories of student days. How time passed by quickly. I was once a student and now a full-pledged employee.

As soon as jeepney arrived, the passenger seats were mostly occupied by students and adults who were joining the race. There were students, me and our helper, father and daughter, and one female student who didn’t belong to a group of students I saw earlier. The students were joining the 5k race because they got off at Lawton while I was joining the 3k race and got off at Vito Cruz (formerly Pablo Ocampo Sr). This was my first race and didn’t want to strain myself and ended unable to work the following day.

As we grew nearer to the venue, I told Ayat that my father didn’t have to worry because there were many people out of the streets. I didn’t think something bad will happen. Nevertheless, I appreciated my father’s effort. At least I had someone to talk share my excitement or I would just burse out of my protective self-bubble if I didn’t get to share it to anyone. We arrived at the venue at 5:00 am and the race hadn’t started yet. I texted and looked for my colleague who was standing on the other side of the island (check name).

Fifteen minutes later, the race began. I shouldn’t call it race because I was walking and not running due to huge volume of people joining the race. Then people started running and spreading out by jumping on the other street across our lane because some people wanted to run and not walk. This gave space enough for those, including me who was left on legal course to freely run as fast as I can.  I asked my colleague if I could go ahead because I was so excited I wanted to run to ease the tension. I never told my colleague the reason.  I ran and walked, run and walked. Oh! I never felt this good since my childhood days. I’m so overwhelmed that I plan to run every Sunday at UP Oval.

Before I reached the finish line, security personnel were blocking people who bore no race number on their shirt because the official counting of participants began after passing those security personnel and free goodies awaited those who bought tickets. Participants were given a pack of Champion detergent powder, champion t-shirt, C2 fruit drink and boardwalk rubber bands. I arrived first among my colleagues under the 3k race category. While waiting for them, I noticed people queuing at St. Luke’s Medical Center booth. As soon as I understand the commotion, I dashed off quickly and claimed my reusable bag. Whew!

Finally, after 30 minutes, my colleague arrived well. We proceeded to Jollibee near Blue wave to get our free Jollibee breakfast provided by the company. We ate and chat, then left to give place for the next batch of eaters.

I never felt this good. I mean my body never felt this good for a long time. I should make it a habit to run once a week. My sold felt renewed, too. To learn that you have shared something for a good cause specifically the Pasig River Clean-up is amazing. I really wish to see the old Pasig River, Rizal was talking about. 

2 Weeks later, the certificates were released. Unfortunately, 2011 race did not break its 2010 Guinness World Record of over 100,000 runners in a single race. 



No comments:

Post a Comment